Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Review: The Break-Up Artist by Philip Siegel

-
I received this courtesy of Harlequin Teen through NetGalley in return for an honest review.




Title: The Break Up Artist
Author: Philip Siegel
Page Length: 336
Age: YA
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Publication Date: May 1st, 2014
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Overall:
I don’t feel any pressing feelings about The Break Up Artist. It was great but it wasn’t bad. It was one of those book which was ‘average’ in many senses of the word. If you really enjoy contemporary then I would recommend this book, but if contemporary isn’t favorite this isn’t one of those contemporary that you must read (e.g., The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Book Thief, or a John Green book). I would say, however, that if you like the ‘moral’ of Paper Towns by John Green, which I did, I would recommend picking this book up.

The Concept:
Becca Williamson doesn’t believe in love. Maybe it’s because her parents never really seemed to love each other. Maybe it’s because her sister became bitter and reclusive after her fiancĂ© left her at the aisle. Maybe it’s because her best friend left her after getting a popular boyfriend. Maybe it’s because her current best friend doesn’t think she’d good enough since she’s single. But what ever it is that caused her to deny love, it also caused her to be ‘the break-up artist.’ Pay her $100 over PayPal and she’ll break up any couple in your life that you’re not a fan of. Anonymously, of course. And it’s justified because Becca’s just speeding up the inevitable, right?

The Plot:
Becca Williamson has her hardest task yet. Breaking up the school’s favorite couple, Steve and Huxley. The same Huxley who was once Becca’s best friend before she became popular and got a boyfriend, leaving Huxley in the dust. Plus Val, Becca’s current best friend, has finally gotten a boyfriend, Ezra. But does Val like Ezra or does she just like having a boyfriend? And what will happen when Becca starts to develop feeling towards Ezra? Overall there are a lot of aspects to this book and to the plot but they all intertwine fairly well.

The Characters:
Like the rest of this book I didn’t have any particular feelings towards the characters. Most of them weren’t likable or unlikable, which could be good or bad, however all the character had different ideas of life and love, which were very interesting to read about. For example one character doesn’t believe in love, while another is in love, while another is fascinated by love, and another has given up on love. I really liked that aspect, as I find characters and their beliefs just as interesting as plot lines, and other such things. 

The Writing:
The writing in this book was average (must like the rest of the book). It didn’t wow me, or even mildly impress me, but I never thought it was bad or cringed at a sentence. I really do wish I could say more on this, but there isn’t much more to say. 

The Romance:
I think it’s somewhat difficult to say my feelings on the romance in this book without spoilers. I will say the romance is on the minimal side compared to most YA contemporaries. I really liked the conclusion to the romance and thought it was very unique compared to the ending in most books. I do think that this might be the book for you if you don’t like romance since the majority of this book is anti-romance.

The Friendship:
I did have a bit of an issue with how clique the friend plot lines were. Girl looses her friendship with over girl because of boy. Girl becomes friend with ex-friend who is now popular and has boyfriend. Since the romance had a unique conclusion I was really hoping the same for the friendship aspect, which was not the case. 

Conclusion:
This was a nice fun, contemporary read, but it wasn’t anything special. 


~Izzy

No comments:

Post a Comment