Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Review: The People Inside

I received an e-arc of this book by Oni Press though NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.


The Title: The People Inside
The Author: Ray Fawkes
Page Length: 146
Age: Adult
Genre: Graphic Novel, Romance, Contemporary
Publication Date: August 13th, 2014
Rating: 4 Stars

Overview:
I really, really enjoyed this read! I was a ‘eighteen-paneled’ graphic novel, which means that each page had nine boxes with a drawing and if you read just the one’s in the box (example: the top right hand box of every left page) you would read a story, and you did this continuously for all of the eighteen boxes (I really hope that made sense). This was somewhat tedious since I was reading it on my e-reader, but it was also a really cool, unique experience for me! I loved all the stories, but a quick warning that they are quite heavy and intense contemporaries, so make sure that’s what you’re looking to read before you pick this up!

The Plot:
Going through all eighteen plots would be absolutely tedious and waaaay to long, so I’m just going to give you a brief summary of what to look out for. Each square tells a different love story. Let me note that just because it’s a love story doesn’t mean it’s a happy love story. There was also a nice variety of sexualities and ages that were portrayed in the different stories which I really enjoyed. 

The Art:
If you’re wondering why I knocked off a star on the rating of this book, it’s because the artwork in this story wasn’t really my style. Maybe you’ll enjoy it, but was sloppy and not very visually appealing to me, which I think is a really important aspect of make a graphic-novel. 

Conclusion:

If looking for a dark contemporary graphic novel and don’t mind mediocre art, I would be sure to pick this up!



No comments:

Post a Comment